[Gasification] Doug Williams

Peter & Kerry realpowersystems at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 22:29:15 CDT 2012

Dear All,

We have enormous respect for many on this list including its senior
members, that we do not always agree with their conclusions is simply
because some of our own experiences have been different. This is the
nature of applied gasification rather than the individual. As someone
who has been unjustly attacked and even called a liar on this list in
the past by an ignorant few with their own vested interests we also take
issue with the implied criticism of Doug, or indeed anyone else in this
fashion. This is not, and should never be, condoned on this forum.

Nor should we have to put up with people whining because some detailed
piece of proprietary knowledge is not being freely shared, or suggest
that because someone might also have a commercial interest in their
career it somehow lessens them.

Between us my wife and I have 55 years of study and practice with small
scale gasification, not counting that which has been passed down through
our respective families. We have discovered several fundamental aspects
that are not given weight in the literature or in the reflected
experience of others that has been shared. Indeed the last "light bulb"
moment happened only a few weeks ago, well after we thought we had
already worked it all out. (Be prepared to be humbled all Ye who enter
unto Gasification).

Cumulatively these have lifted our gas energy content by >40% above what
is reported in the literature for air drawn down draft systems whilst
maintaining exceptional quality, significantly reduced the hardware and
cost required for the Balance of Plant and broadened our feed stock
capability enormously. What we have learnt more recently suggests this
can still be improved upon, particularly in terms of continuous
operating plant. Nor do we consider ourselves unique in this as there
are parallel independent developments on at least two other continents,
not including what some of Doug's colleagues might be doing.

Consider the above "experience sharing", no we have not provided
detailed engineering drawings but we have told you there is more that
awaits to be discovered and improved upon in the small scale
gasification world. Just knowing this is enough for many enthusiasts to
go out and look at the system in the backyard (or the lab!) with fresh
eyes and ponder what it is they have been missing? Odds are over time
some will discover part or all of what we have, better yet a few might
well find entirely new breakthroughs.

That there is more to be discovered by ordinary people such as ourselves
is also one of the joys of gasification.

Regards,
Peter & Kerry