[Gasification] Graphite Heat Exchangers for Producer Gas?

Viswanathan KS viswanathanks at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 23:11:33 CDT 2012

Process for producing graphite tubes:

Synthetic graphite is manufactured from crude oil cokes and pitch. The
pasty mixture is shaped into
monolithic blocks or tubes. Tubes are extruded whereas blocks are usually
vibration molded. The
shape is then carbonized at 900ºC (1650 F)for a few hours and then fully
graphitised at 2900ºC (5250
F) for several days. The block or tubes are then impregnated with synthetic
resin that is then
polymerized to render them totally impervious to gases and fluids.
The resulting material is fully corrosion resistant to most common acids
(sulfuric acid, hydrochloric
acid and of course industrial phosphoric acid) and has a very high thermal
conductivity of around 80
W/m.K for tubes or 140 W/m.K for blocks when totally graphitised. The tube
wall is quite thick, 6
mm (1/4”) and the individual tubes are 3 meters (10’) long.
Unquote

ksv