[Gasification] To all... a question

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Jul 19 12:07:45 CDT 2012

Dear Kenny

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kenny Redd
  To: Gasification at bioenergylists.org
  Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:54 PM
  Subject: [Gasification] To all... a question

  As a novice to gasification, I have been absorbing the enlightening info on this forum.  Here's my question: Is it possible to design a single reactor vessel to intake woody biomass (@30% moisture) and output syngas, torrefied woody biomass and biochar in a continuous process and maintain self-sustaining combustion without returning a portion of the syngas to aid combustion?

  # The short answer is: Absolutely not.

  My gut feeling (and my novice number crunching) says it can be done.  Am I overly optimistic?

  # The short answer is: Yes

  Are there any such systems in use today?

  # I feel that such a task is impossible.

  Thanks in advance for any additional enlightenment.

  # It is usually far more difficult to build a system doing many tasks, than it is to build a"single purpose process equipment piece."

  Best wishes,

  Kevin

  Kenny Redd
  Inova Energy LLC