[Gasification] 2 MWe Gasifier at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 25 11:49:38 CDT 2012

Thank you very much, Tom, for this information!

   Nexterra is certainly a company that I have been keeping my eyes on
for a while (since at least 2008).
 >3,000 hours in a GE Jenbacher engine is certainly a significant
milestone, and not to be ignored, especially since this could translate
into applications in Schools, Military installations, Community
Facilities, as well as Commercial and small industrial applications
(>10, <60 MMBtu/h) -- in addition to other (Northern) applications such
as Greenhouses.
   [Global warming or not, Canada will /always/ be a cold country in the
winter -- the tilt of the Earth is not changing...  So we absolutely
/need/ HEAT to (at least) prevent the pipes from bursting in all of our
buildings in the winter. (We have no choice there -- in the north one
cannot simply insulate and allow a building to cool to the average
ambient temperature.)]

**Even in Toronto -- the most southerly part of Canada -- the Average
Annual (heating) degree-days (below 18C) is about 3000.
  If the (heating) Degree-days are above 6570, this means that the
average Annual temperature for that location is zero [0] degrees C, or
-32F.  i.e. The yellow parts of this map:

Taken from Natural Resources Canada http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca
<http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/>

   Regards,

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754
   CELL: 647-886-8754
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee coordinator
   Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
   President, Co-founder&  CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
   Partner of Toronto Urban Ag Summit! www.urbanagsummit.org
   See also: http://www.facebook.com/UrbanAgSummit
   Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
            http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
    Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://www.biocharontario.ca
    www.biochar.ca

"The history of every nation is eventually written in the way it cares for its soil."
  - Franklin D. Roosevelt