[Gasification] Levelised Energy Cost calculation for UBC 2MWe gasifier

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Jun 25 19:44:02 CDT 2012

David,

They offset high priced gas plus a CO2 tax of about CAN$2.75/GJ (?) so the
products are electricity, heat (~12-20% of campus demand), and CO2 tax
offset. It is really a heating plant with a 2 MWe generator.

If the plant electrically efficiency is based on GCV then 24% is probably
too high. It's usually in the 14-17% range.

>From their published profile:

Electricity Production 15,300,000 kWh/yr

Annual Gas Displacement 86,000 MMBtu/yr (from 9,600 pph steam [now increased
to 20,000 pph]).

Avoided CO2 Emissions 4,500 tonnes yr

Avoided CO2 Emissions (Car Equivalent) 1,100 cars/yr

Wood Fuel Required 12,500 bone dry tonnes/yr

Tom