[Gasification] Sweden's trash project

LINVENT at aol.com LINVENT at aol.com
Mon Nov 5 17:25:14 CST 2012

Dear John,
     I have repeatedly stated that the major issues with gasification lie
with the developers of the technology relying upon engineering, not
innovation. There are no degrees granted for innovation at schools and engineering by
itself does not lead to innovation. I have seen the same flow diagrams for
systems for decades and they don't work. A list of the failures is on our
website on the homepage, Comparative Gasification. Simple solutions exist as
we have developed and they are very successful, partiularly in cleaning the
gas, even removing sulfur from tire derived gas without standard S removal
systems used.
     Other innovations include higher throughput, better range of fuels,
improved energy efficiency, all of which are needed for economic operation.
     The US Army has attempted for at least 7 years to develop a mobile 2
ton/day MSW to power system to replace the handling, diesel use for mobile
incinerators, and had dropped the program until they saw two of our systems
operating last summer, in which they reinstated the program and reissued the
Broad Agency Announcement to include this program as no one had been able to
do it after many years and millions of dollars including General Atomic,
SAIC, and others trying to. Unfortunately, due to a partnering arrangement with
a DoD Contractor that didn't work out, the Army is still in need of a
satisfactory solution.
     Unfortunately, without these innovations in the field, other benefits
such as synfuels, inexpensive energy production, use of broad based biomass
or other feed is limited, and so is the field. Because of the string of
highly capitalized failures and lack of deep technology personnel, read: lots of
PhDs, the investment community doesn't believe it can be done.
     The investment community is putting money into renewable energy
projects that are going to take major hits from the NG pricing and government
subsidies going away, similar to what happened when Reagan took office to the
Carter renewable energy programs.
     Thermogenics has received major inquiries from various countries, this
morning alone, Ghana, Uganda, India, Cyprus, Greece for our systems to be
used for their energy needs. India has massive waste problems and their
expensive incinerators or other systems don't work. One Indian group sent me a
list of gasifier companies fhey investigated on the internet and found them to
be bogus, to the point of having hefty fines for emissions when they
claimed not to have emissions. Some were greater than incinerator operations.
     As to your specific interest, we can address it better than anyone
else and if you want to have some idea of what can be done, send me the
specifics.