[Gasification] Small steam systems plus gasifiers for electricity

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 10:42:21 CST 2013

Hi All,

Forget small scale steam for electric power generation.  Very low overall
conversion efficiency and a full-time control problem to prevent potential
steam explosions, make this a technology cul-de-sac not worth exploring.

The efficiency of a good downdraft gasifier and internal combustion engine
will produce four times as much electricity as any steam engine could - for
the same quantity of wood fuel.

I've recently been doing test runs on an APL 20kW Power Pallet, and saw
49.5kWh of electricity produced in 2.75 hours from a standard 200 litre (55
US gal) oil drum of woodchip fuel.

regards

Ken