[Gasification] WoodGas Campstove

Robert Taylor rt at ms1.hinet.net
Sun Dec 1 19:32:08 CST 2013

If that happens I hope the material of the pyrolisis chamber will be more
robust. The stove that I bought a few years ago failed in a matter of months
of intermittent use (a couple of times a week). The metal disintegrated
below the ring of secondary air holes. I did not have a use for the char, so
I was burning it to ash. I assume that the stove would have lasted longer if
I had been stopping it at the end of the pyrolisis phase, but I was not
aware at the time of the greater stress on the material, and the product
literature did not suggest that burning the char in the stove would shorten
the stove's life.

For fuel I was using a mix of combustible materials from my household waste
stream. These were not necessarily well matched to the stove design, so I
often had trouble keeping the stove alight, and was operating it more as a
fire in a bucket than as a TLUD. I guess that this too will have contributed
to its early demise. But I would have hoped that the material would be
capable of withstanding these conditions.

Robert Taylor