[Gasification] Wood heating in the UK - whole log gasification

Kevin C kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Dec 26 15:07:33 CST 2013

Dear Ken

If indeed your efficiency is poor because of excessive "Stack Loss"
then teh simplest thing would be to control stack loss.

The three "Stack Loss" components are:
1: Excess temperature
2: Excess air
3: Incomplete combustion

The first thing to do is check the chimney exhaust visually, to ensure
that it is venting clear gas, or white condensate. If there is gray,
blue, yellow or black smoke, then adjust secondary air to get rid of it.

The next thing, if there is no smoke, is to cut back on secondary air,
to cause some, and then re-open it just enough to get back to "a "no
smoke stack."

Then measure Stack temperature. If above 350 F, it is usually
worthwhile adding heat capture surface to recover heat for use in the
living space.

You probably only need about .02" of overfire draft, to get the
products of combustion out of the fire box. If draft is excessive, you
may wish to consider partially obstructing the stove outlet.

The above might be the cheapest and most practical way to proceed, but
then with your site specific circumstances, and your capabilities, a
gasification system might be do-able.

Best wishes,

Kevin