[Gasification] Chip Guillotine was Re: Wood heating in the UK - whole log gasification

Doug Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Sun Dec 29 11:53:17 CST 2013

Hi Jeff and Paul,

It's been a few years since I assembled this concept guillotine design into a drawing, and I emphasis concept. It was to show a principle of slicing the fibres as the force of the blade was applied with as much rotation of the blade possible. How the dimensions are determined can be proven using a cardboard mock-up and leaves plenty of room for innovation relating to the features you mention.

These are the things that I would explore with this concept:

1. The angle of the ground blade, and which direction the angle/s should face the stick to prevent shattering (unless you need this factor).

2. The angle of the blade support plates.

3. The blade diameter.

4. Addition of a bottom blade, possibly to facilitate cutting angles.

5. Blade can be mild steel with welded hard facing, like the Screw Auger Laimet chipper.

As a project, nobody has reported back to me that they have tried to make one, and I have not the time myself to iron out any wrinkles. I will however discuss it today with a mate who might be interested in pottering around to keep his hands busy. Unlike building a gasifier, many on our forums will have plenty of ability to knock it into a working design as an interesting practical project.

I suggest the floor is open to all so we can fatten out the potential details.

Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.