[Gasification] mycoremediation of tarry water

stuart mather kneebraceboy at yahoo.com.au
Fri Feb 1 18:18:17 CST 2013

Kevin
Years ago, while I was in the Navy, during a tour of the engine room of a warship, one of the turbine boiler engineers warned us that if we encountered even a tiny high pressure/temp leak somewhere in the steam plumbing, we wouldn't see it, but it would instantly slice cleanly through whatever body part got in the way.. I'd forgotten about how dangerous steam can be. Clearly not an option for small scale set ups, although a small steam engine with a professionally designed boiler with multiple fail safe features probably warrants further consideration. But you obviously wouldn't be building one yourself. Whereas once the tar issue is addressed in an environmentally responsible way, the opportunities to lose life and limb would seem less with a gasifier/ICE approach to using biomass, and is a tinkerers dream.
One further question, If the tars stay in  biochar from low temp BM pyrolysis, and the soil bacteria/myccorhizal fungi deal with them, (are even beneficial I thought), why is the tarry water from a gasifier scrubber such an environmental hazard?
Stuart.