[Gasification] Very small scale stationary steam

David Coote dccoote at mira.net
Sun Feb 3 14:53:46 CST 2013

A small-scale reciprocating steam system is likely to be running at a
few atmospheres; not the temperatures and pressures mentioned for
running a warship.

We're a lot better at understanding how things go boom than we were 100
years ago. And materials science has improved enormously.

Running a steam engine at low temperatures and pressures imposes some
thermodynamic limitations on efficiency and exhaust temperatures but in
some situations this may not be an issue.

What would be useful is an analysis around what's available commercially
now in this space and what might be available with a bit of R&D.

But I think it's far to say that steam is definitely not sexy in the
renewable energy world :) I've mentioned it a few times as a viable
option in some circumstances. Generally leads to a sort of blank
incomprehension

David