[Gasification] sexy steam

Toby Seiler seilertechco at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 16:15:55 CST 2013

"steam is definitely not sexy in the renewable energy world".

Go back to the "Stanley Steamer" and study the boiler.  I think about 1500 of them were sold and there were no boiler explosions (that I found).  When checking with Kennedy Tank, a similar boiler can be made using todays materials.  From my research, it is the verticle firetube (and a lot of them) that is key, since the temperature has limits as long as it has ANY water in it.

My boss at Bryan Steam was the ASME Section 7 Chairman for many years (in 1978) and they had built a steam car (around 1900) that we often discussed.   He assured me steam would be back to "sexy" and I still believe this to be true, if one chooses a design that is inherently safer.

Stanley Steamer held the world land speed record for a very long time (untill recently).  That boiler was rated at 600psi but my guess is, at the speed record attempt they were well over 1000-1200f.  There is a lot of stored energy in water that is not yet steam (due to pressure) and I often wonder about injecting super heated water into an engine, taking advantage of the 1600x expansion, liquid to vapor.