[Gasification] Looking for contact info for Jeff Davis

Arnt Karlsen arnt at iaksess.no
Fri Jul 19 08:44:56 CDT 2013

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:02:17 -0230, Lori wrote in message
<CAF==_RF2Mb8wgQ_VvrLYYQNBW=aW8qzGEM8hbc-Mytvu35Zeew at mail.gmail.com>:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Here are my answers to your questions...
>
> 1: What is the nature of the biomass resource(s) you propose to char?
> Wood chops
> 2: What is your approximate intended "scale of operation?" Small farm
> scale

.."small farm scale", meaning what size range?   "Farm scale"
depends on where in the world you are. ;o)

> 3: What is the presently intended "end use" for the char you
> wish to produce?
> for biochar field trials
> 4: Do you have a use for the energy in the pyrolysis gases? no
> immediate use

..this can be used to dry your fuel.  I put my tar vapor flare inside
my fuel hopper, which sits on top of my Imbert-style gasifier, the tar
vapors are drawn into a 2" pipe hung around my 1/2" "tar air pipe"
which ends ~4" inside the tar vapor pipe that hangs down just over
and thickens the Imbert type combustion zone lens.

> 5: Please confirm that you are indeed interested primarily interested
> in charcoal production, OR if perhaps you are interested in
> gasification of biomass (either wood or charcoal) for engine use.
> biochar production

..if you draw more than 1 cubic meter of gas per second per
square centimeter of Imbert hearth throat area, you will
produce _both_ "good engine quality gas" _and_ "charcoal",
according to WWII "Gengas" litterature, I dunno how this
does in the "biochar" role, though.

..in WWII, this regime was called "overload" because it wasted
fuel as charcoal dust clogging up filters and made the gasifier
and its piping etc fairly hot.  IME I got charcoal chips out my
ash "grate" auger and probably a fair amount of charcoal dust
in my filter/coolant water, it's all black. ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: