[Gasification] Plastic bonded wood fuel (was oil from plastic)

J. Paul Villella woodboyz2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 20 07:30:44 CDT 2013

I guess I'm sorry I opened my big mouth.  When dealing with Plastics - i should have been more specific.  the most prevelent plastic in my own household/shop waste stream (Plastic being used in a commonly understood term and not the technical State-of-being sense) would be HDPE (2) which is near paraffin in nature (wax like) it's binding qualities with rough sawdust make it such that very little is used as a percent by weight or volume and it's use prescribed only for ( Dried-semi dried) wood where natural Lignins are insufficient to bind into pellets (about the size of a AAA battery cut in half),  The HDPE is shredded fine and mixed before extrusion and the heat from extrusion is what binds the whole (Usually no additional heating of the compacting chamber is needed).  (this is a very similar albeit not heated process used to create "Plastic Wood" Deckboards and Plastic/Wood Mouldings - however much less plastic is needed to simply bind it for non
 structural purposes).

Using dried wood saw dust -I may well have gotten differing results then might be found with wood at a higher moisture content

Since I've not gotten to Gasifying for engine (syngas) uses yet - I only know that forced air induction into the stove/boiler chamber gives me a very clean (no visible smoke) burn and ash fines show no characteristics of plastic residue and the fuel shows very little disintegration (dust) in augering.  ( the pelletizing was done on a 2 week test with a borrowed 10kw "oil extruder" and no unusually wear was noted, first batch was done with heat, then heat decreased in subsequent batches till no heat was used).

I leave the suitability for gasification to you experts (i'm usually just a lurker/dreaming if electircal power from my waste).   syngas stove modifications may well be needed

Regards
Paul