[Gasification] Gasification Digest, Vol 35, Issue 12

Arnt Karlsen arnt at iaksess.no
Mon Jul 22 07:11:11 CDT 2013

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 20:49:21 +1200, doug.williams wrote in message
<00F9AA20EEC343F5ABF4634BB3C66A84 at dougspc>:

> Hi Peter,
> Sorry but only brief answers to your questions:
>
> > Looking at your excellent report and photo's on your archives page
> > (yes we have bowed to pressure and are organising someone to do
> > something similar for our own work, will post a link to list in due
> > course) I note the flare colours are similar to what we used to get
> > from our early models, though if the operation was at the 320Nm3/hr
> > level for the daylight photos  then we have to get better gas flow
> > measurements ourselves as the flare volumes depicted are what we
> > would expect from the system with the fan at low speed. Perhaps you
> > did not have the gasifier at full flow when the pictures were taken?
>
> Open flare testing was conducted at low levels due to the fire
> hazards present in California. Water sprays were used to wet the area
> of the tests.
>
> The two daylight photos were to show the first cold start-up gas,
> first at ignition, then a little later as the exothermic heat began
> to return to the gas making, not heat soaking. Cold start-ups are
> never conducted at high flows, because you will consume all the char
> before the raw fuel can be carbonized. The night photos were done to
> show at a higher rate, how the exiting combustible gas changes in
> volume, as the amount of pyrolysis gas from the raw fuel over the bed
> either fails to flow or in our case, not fed quickly enough to keep
> up with the required gas making quality. Night photos provide the
> best view of these changes. The colors of the gas relate to a known %
> of clean gas free from hydrocarbons, and a particulate level
> consistent with prior testing.
>
>  > Just a clarification: When you talk about air blown you are
>  > referring to
> > the fan forcing air in rather than drawing gas out?
>
> The short answer is yes, but fans are not appropriate for commercial
> gasifiers. You need a Roots blower which is a positive displacement
> pump (suction or blown) then you will see how your gasifier really
> behaves. Fans just spin and you cannot have any control over any
> obscure changes in pressure or suction.

..I partially (dis)agree on positive displacement Roots blower,
I use high pressure suction centrifugal fans, they lift water
about 2 meters.  The other 2 important things you need, are heat
and dust tolerance.

..if you draw tar vapors, you also need tar vapor tolerance, and
e.g. vacuum cleaner motors drawing tarry gas thru water drums,
will last about 1-2 hours before the tar dissolves the motor wire
varnish film, upon which they become spectacularly useful as gas
flare ignitors. ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: