[Gasification] Fluidised bed reactor

jim mason jim at allpowerlabs.org
Sat Nov 30 02:06:27 CST 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com> wrote:

> . The best use of the exhaust gas heat may be
> in preconditioning the fuel. Danish Technological University (DTU Viking
> gasifier, 1990-2010,  that is now being commercialized by Weiss) and later
> All Power Labs (Power Pallet, 2009) have used heat from the exhaust to
> indirectly dry and pyrolyze incoming fuel. The dried and partially
> devolatilized wood, along with preheated combustion air, appears to
> contribute to a stable oxidation zone. Both units make a very good quality
> gas. These are both fixed bed downdraft gasifiers with pre-pyrolysis zones.
> Peak temperatures reach 1000 C-1200 C in the oxidation zone and 800-900C in
> the reduction zones.
>
> http://www.btgworld.com/en/references/publications/handbook-biomass-gasifica
> tion-second-edition

this sort of heat recycling can certainly improve the total thermal budget,
but i believe the more important impact is improvement of pyrolysis control
and resulting tar species you have to deal with downstream.

in a non-heat regenerating downdraft, the pyrolysis is driven parasitically
from heat radiating and convecting up from the combustion zone.  in
practice, pyrolysis ends up happening in a very thin layer right above the
nozzles.  the result is pyrolysis time is very short and the temps are high.

the result is that most pyrolysis is happening above the 600C threshold
where there is significant evolution to refractory/teritary tars.  these
are the tars with lots of double carbon bonds, making them more difficult
to crack downstream.  these tars are also high in PAH species, which are
the nuclei precursors of soot.  thus high PAH gas streams tend to increase
your soot load.

exhaust gas driven pyrolysis let's you run pyrolysis over a longer period
of time, and at a much lower temp.  IC exhaust is around 600-700c, so
through a double jacket you end up with pyrolysis staying under 600c.  this
keeps the tars in primary fragment forms, or minimally evolved.  cracking
conditions are a bit more flexible downstream as a result, and the
reduction in PAHs reduces soot in the final gas.

i can't provide quantitative numbers on this sadly, but by observation we
regularly see a large difference in gas quality between using and not using
the exhaust gas driven pyrolysis.  the soot load difference is particularly
surprising.

also, if you are trying to drive a given reactor to high throughput, the
rate limitation is usually the pyrolysis rate.  "externally" driving the
pyrolysis gives you much more residence time to complete pyrolysis before
things drop into the hearth.  this is particularly the case with chunkier
and wet fuels.

this externally driven pyrolysis is likely the most impactful thing we've
done so farwith the GEK to improve the traditional imbert.  more than the
air preheating or the fuel predrying.  each helps, but the driven pyrolysis
section changes the chemical species you are dealing with, not just the
total thermal budget.

many gasifiers have done this.  the viking did it most impressively in
recent years, and with the best documentation of the benefit.  the main
thing we added was to well separate the drying from the pyrolysis stage.
 this keeps the mess down in the hopper, and better segments needed heat to
specific input heat.  we also tried to do this in a compact space to keep
the total unit size down.

the specific relationships of waste heat to process input points is
explained in more detail here:
http://wiki.gekgasifier.com/Tower-of-Total-Thermal-Integration.

thanks to tom reed for doing the work to document how all tars are not
created equally.