[Gasification] Demonstration and Training Unit

Greg David earth1st at me.com
Fri Apr 11 12:16:14 CDT 2014

Hi,

I'm a local public servant (Co Bd supervisor)  working on a biomass energy project in Jefferson County WI that would harvest coppicable polyculture, perennial woody plants, on a four year cycle, and grown with alley crop and keyline water management methods. Gleanings from the plantings would be used to heat and power county buildings.

We're trying to institute a system of plant management that maximizes cooperation with Nature to capture of matter and energy in a restorative manner, and thus, sequester carbon, phosphorus, nitrogen, water and energy. The plantings would also be grown to maximize ecological services provided from the plantings (water retention, pollution mitigation, elemental sequestration, energy capture and storage, habitat, windbreaks, buffer-strips, snow fences), and gleanings from the plantings, like biomass, fruit (mulberry, raspberry), hazelnuts, flowers, fodder, fiber and other such useful nature derived resources.

The plantings can be grown on government lands (Road right of ways, conservation park lands, wet or riparian areas), or by the private sector as desired The plantings could be grown on marginal or depleted lands.

We want a system that is local, restorative, precautionary and cost effective over time. The project is being marketed as providing energy security, and insulation from price spikes and middlemen. As part of the initiative,  Permacultural principles are being promoted to assure a holistic approach to the effort, and to create a system that creates both social and ecological capital right here at home.

Amazingly enough, there is great interest in the idea, and a verbal commitment has ben made to put in a pilot project.
Thanks,
Greg

Greg David
W4512 Riverdale Lane