[Gasification] Fwd: RE: Whole log pyrolysis for char production was Re: W...

Jason urepedese at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 18:15:36 CST 2014

To Ken and all (Ken because you are actively designing),

as a novice, but somewhat successful, combustion system designer (does that
sound right?) I find it helpful to break down what you are trying to
achieve along with and the material or design considerations around this.
Having trained Architecturally there are three types of insulation to
consider: Reflective, Resistive and Capacitive. Thermal mass (ceramics) are
simply capacitive. In a batch burning system then the capacitance really
just smooths out the temperature variation over the cycle and is most
useful to elevate the low end. My way of thinking is that if you are
designing a two stage combustion system then resistive insulation in the
primary chamber may be the better approach to keep temperatures up. Kaowool
is cheap.

I am open to, or would even welcome, critique on that position.

My own system gets so hot that I risk too much pyrolysis too early and that
is why I have no need for any insulation. Early on I installed a
thermocouple and while it was still rising at around 100°C every 5 minutes
I measured 1050°C before the wires melted out of the thermocouple. I peak
at 850°C about one metre up the stack from the hottest point.

Regards

Jason