[Gasification] Mk2 Chip Guillotine

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Fri Jan 24 00:11:05 CST 2014

Hi Doug,
Regardless of how we do it, the same work is accomplished. W=F*distance, a
scalar function. But, the instantaneous force required varies according to
the geometry of the opposing force. On a 5cm stick, the first cm will shear
easier than the second, etc. until the maximum diameter is passed through.
Moving to an air cylinder certainly would complicate things while still not
providing the maximum thrust at the right time--halfway through the shearing
cut. Is there no wind, or oxen or other beasts to raise a guillotine to a
trip point? An air cylinder implies first-world power sources and I thought
that that was what we were without.

Best regards, Mark