[Gasification] Mk2 Chip Guillotine

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Sun Jan 26 18:57:11 CST 2014

Dear Kevin,
I agree but as a practical matter in a counter-flow dryer, the incoming
"cold" material is a condensing surface for the saturated air soon to leave
the dryer. This may sound counter-intuitive, but only the surface of the
feed material gains moisture in this scenario. The most efficient dryer
makes use of both sensible heat as well as latent heat. The enthalpy of
condensation provides a substantial amount of heat to the incoming feed.
Depending on the temperature of the in-feed, it is quite possible that the
exhaust can be well below saturation and may in some instances present
opportunities for partial recycling (mixing). The goal is to create as high
a heat transfer coefficient as possible. This usually implies high velocity
of the drying airstream.
Best regards,
Mark