[Gasification] Size of blower and tumbler required to dry chip in asolar kiln

Luke Gardner lgardner at wwest.net
Mon Jan 27 21:09:49 CST 2014

how big of a motor?
how many licks are there in a lolly pop?
depends on how long your tumbler is and how full you fill it, and slightly
on how heavy you construct and how much you spend on bearings.
empty and full to the brim it would require very little energy  to spin.
the more you fill from empty the more energy its going to take to spin, the
same as it would take more energy to spin by removing some from a choked
full load, somewhere between full and empty there would be a point of
equilibriium so to speak where there would be a max load to spin, where that
is depends on the fluidity of your medium (chips) and any presence or lack
there of internal "mixing fins"
It would be a very slippery slope to try to gain any real calculable
numbers.
maybe another in the group may have a shot from the hip that comes with
experience handling this medium in a drum, but my advice would be to.
1 build it
2 fill it to opperating depth manually
3 measure how much energy  it requires to spin manually at the speed you
desire, then size the motor from that real feedback data.

Or default to a good oldie I like to say and do,
"There's no kill like overkill"
Luke Gardner