[Gasification] Dioxins ...was Clean air ..

James Joyce james at jamesjoyce.com.au
Sun Jun 29 02:48:07 CDT 2014

Leland, regarding costs. I have had two scenarios described to me, one where the sample device is provided and I take the sample (therefore up to me to make that representative) and one where a technician comes in to collect the sample. I believe the $3000 applies to the first case ... ie. sampling is an additional cost.

If you are referring to on-line or at-line GS-MS or Gel chromatography I am interested to hear about experiences with these techniques. Our plant operators are not qualified instrument techs or lab techs ... which means at best the devices would get a check over on a monthly basis during scheduled plant visits.

My interest in the bag filter was with respect to particulates. This relates to dioxin in that they tend to be adsorbed onto the particulates (although perhaps more so at <300 deg C than 600 deg C), so it is one way to remove dioxins and their precursors if they are present. Some plants I understand actually inject fine carbon into their flue gas for this very purpose.

Kevin, on your comments about Chlorine and copper, I have been maintaining a watching brief for some time on the topic and from what I understand Chlorine levels are in fact poorly correlated with Dioxin emissions, arguably because the chlorine levels in most feedstocks, even at ppm levels are many many times the quantity needed to make the tiny amounts of Dioxins that regulators are checking for.  I read a very good review of the science just last week. If anyone wants the reference I could dig it out next week. The review of a looked critically at a variety of data on Dioxin formation and control. My interpretation of the their conclusions is that Dioxin emissions from pyrolysis, gasification and combustion processes are:

(a) Very poorly correlated with Chlorine levels, with the exception of a few industrial chemicals (not biomass)

(b) Strongly correlated to completion of combustion and the residence time of flue gases between 200 - 400 deg C (the desired residence times in this range were less than 1.6 seconds ...which perhaps does not bode well for torrefaction ! ... and hot running electrostatic precipitators)

(c) Catalysed by copper and copper compounds .. which in turn are inhibited by the presence of sulphur.

(d) Sometimes dictated by the dioxin content of the incoming feedstock rather than formation in the process

If anyone has done Dioxin measurements on flue gases from thermal processing of biomass I certainly would be interested in their experiences.

Regards,

James