[Gasification] Making char vs producer gas

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed Mar 12 17:20:52 CDT 2014

David,

Most of the temperature studies have been done on pyrolysis chars rather
than gasifier chars. Gasifier char have been insufficiently characterized
for use as biochar. People tend to regard them as "high temperature chars"
and discount them compare with pyrolysis chars. In fact the gasifier chars
perform very well and probably account for the bulk of the biochar
production and use today.

Gasifiers generate high temperatures - 800C-1200C - in the oxidation and
reduction zones but we have had discussions here about whether the char
actually sees the 800C or something more like 500C. When it comes to burning
out volatiles time is also important. Most gasifier chars that I have seen
have low volatile content and probably low labile carbon which would not
suggest breakdown different that chars of similar quality.

It would be useful to survey commercial chars from a variety of processes.
Studies in 2008 favored high temperature gasifier chars compared with
pyrolysis chars for metal adsorption. In general I would say that or data
and knowledge of gasifier chars is incomplete. From a practical standpoint
they seem to be improving soil fertility and capturing metals.

Tom