[Gasification] 3 injured in Fortum bio-oil plant explosion

thomas reed tombreed2009 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 09:43:34 CDT 2014

Dear Tom Miles and All

I used to love the name, Bio-Oil, suggesting  my two passions, Biomass and
Energy.

However,

Biomass condensed vapors are highly oxygenated, and hardly an "oil".  The
term attracts the unwary.

Auto-pyrolysis (at 500-600C) of biomass produces a relatively clean gas
from the cellulose,

  C6H10O5 (cellulose) + 1/2 O2 ===> 6 CO + 5 H2

  Good for cooking and driving cars/trucks

  Plus Biochar, excellent for improving the ground and atmosphere (by its
absence).
<><><>
  But externally heated pyrolysis units produce a witches brew of
chemicals, some useful       when pure (methanol, vanillan, acetic acid)
but in low concentration, and better made more directly.
<><><>

Am I missing something?

Tom Reed

--
NOTE:  PLEASE CHANGE MY ADDRESS TO TOMBREED2010 at GMAIL.COM

Dr. Thomas B. Reed
The Biomass Energy Foundation
BEF, BEC, BER