[Gasification] Composite Residue Logs

Jeff Davis jeffdavis0124 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 12:22:07 CDT 2014

Kelly,

The short answer is; I don't know.

I've found that logs moved with a forwarder are cleaner than a stem
moved with a cable skidder. So this bundling scheme should reduce the
amount of foreign matter, assuming that the bundles are moved with a
forwarder. Also, the wood bundled would be picked where it was fell so
lessing the problem. The furry critters should attend the morning crew
safety meeting.

Cheers,
Jeff

On 09/08/2014 09:51 AM, Kelly Burnham wrote:

> Jeff,
> How is the separation of foreign matter (sand, rocks, furry critters)
> handled in the bundling process?
>
> Kelly
>
> On Sep 6, 2014 5:30 PM, "Jeff Davis" <jeffdavis0124 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jeffdavis0124 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     One recent innovation involves the compaction of logging residues
>     into cylindrical bales called composite residue logs (CRL) or
>     biomass bundles (Johansson et al, 2006). CRLs are approximately 24
>     inches in diameter (61cm) and 10 feet (3m) long.
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOoHUEgf8w
>

>     One of the most appealing aspects of CRL is, they can be handled
>     similarly to round logs. Bundles are efficiently handled and
>     transported with conventional equipment used for roundwood. Simple
>     modification to the trailer may be required depending upon CRL
>     length and makeup. The 1490D Slash Bundler can produce 18 to 26
>     bundles per hour. Cost to bundle at the logging deck is
>     approximately $11 to $14 per green ton. Total cost of operations
>     to gather, bundle and deliver is $21 to $25 per green ton. A blend
>     of pine and hardwood offers best economic advantages due to the
>     amount of available material on ground, relative ease of handling
>     and energy content. The calorific heat content has been measured
>     at 10 MJ per green kg (4300 Btu per green lb) and an energy
>     density of 4.5 GJ per m3. By comparison, calorific heat content of
>     oven dry bundles yield 19.7 MJ per ovendry kg (8500 Btu per lb).
>
>     Slash bundling offers superior storing characteristics. Private
>     data shows that seasoning bundles (storing) for 11 months reduces
>     moisture content to 25 percent to 30 percent and increase energy
>     value to 17.2 MJ per kg (7400 Btu per pound). The post-seasoned
>     delivered cost is $

14.50 per ton. To date, approximately 67,280