[Gasification] Two Engines One Gasifier

Rex Zietsman rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za
Thu Apr 2 01:35:08 CDT 2015

Thanks Doug. I was imagining the challenge of trying to start the two
engines including the gas distribution but had not given the harmonics a
thought at all. Good point. Really where I am coming from is to have a
common generator. The challenge of getting two generators to run in sync is
fine on the MW level but a huge challenge down at small scale. As it is,
speed control is already somewhat of an art as the speed is a function of
load on the generator and a change in speed has an effect on the load of the
gasifier where the gas CV changes until the new equilibrium is established.
Just not as simple as adjusting the throttle as one would with
petrol/diesel.

The clutch you mention: I am assuming that you would put a stripped down
gearbox on the end of the motor and use a normal car clutch. If there is a
simpler method, I would most welcome it. We frequently want to be able to
offer a system that can both drive a generator or a mechanical devices such
as a maize mill. A belt drive clutch would allow us to choose run the
generator all the time and to pull in the maize mill when required. Do you
know of any system that has this? Possibly I could look at an electric
clutch similar to that used with air conditioners. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Kind regards

Rex Zietsman
Principal Consultant