[Gasification] Two Engines One Gasifier

Doug Williams doug.williams.nz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 13:23:40 CDT 2015

Hi Rex,

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 09:20:38 +0200
"Rex Zietsman" <rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za> wrote:

> Thanks Doug. I am using an Arduino microcontroller with servo motor to do
> fine adjustment of the throttle. There is a speed pick up on the output
> shaft. Simple, cost effective - about $40 all in.

Yep, modern cheap solutions.

> As to flywheel, we already have that but I suspect we could make it heavier.

Only if you find the RPM drops to quickly.

> Have you any experience with having an intermediate gas storage tank to
> provide gas when a >50% load is suddenly added to the system?

Yes, we had a large tank,filter/condenser that acted as a quick draw buffer in Winnipeg. If you are using Charcoal gasifiers, then you definitely need to add steam for the H2 content that gives you the faster flame speeds over just CO. The char gasifier should respond to greater gas supply faster than a wood gasifier.
The down side of the buffer tank is that you need to ensure that a flame trap is in the line, because you can get mixed air/gas in the tank until the purge is completed. I suggest you add a big lid spring loaded blow off to the tank for safety compliance.