[Gasification] SPAM: Re: What became of the Waterwide gasifier / close combustion system ?

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Jun 16 12:37:57 CDT 2015

James,

Waterwide (Waterwide International, Napier, New Zealand)  was a promising
system in the late 1970s through the 1990s. As a staged gasifier-combustor
it seemed to have may potential applications.
It is pretty easy to find traces on the net:
1. By the 1990 there were 80 Waterwide gasifiers reportedly in use for crop
drying in Papua New Guinea.
2. Recovered Energy Inc., Idaho, states that there were 40 built worldwide.
http://www.recoveredenergy.com/d_gasification.html
3. Dr. Don Harrison of Verve Energy (Perth) reported (2007) to Avongro that
a Waterwide was used at the Narrogin IWP Demonstration Plant, AU.
http://avongro.com.au/Webpages/documents/DonHarrison-VerveEnergy.pdf The
Verve Energy Domain  www.verveenergy.com.au now forwards to Synergy
http://generation.synergy.net.au/
4. Grege Giese of Infinity Turbine posted a Youtube video (2008) promoting
the unit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twXCQIAzesg
http://www.infinityturbine.com/ORC/ORC_Waste_Heat_Turbine.html
5. Guthrie Industries Malaysia made it under license (2003) where it was
used on rubber plantations. Guthrie now appears to be a consultancy rather
than a manufacturer. Now a subsidiary of Sime Darby Berhad The burner was
called a "Cycloburner"
6. Andrew Heggie (UK) blogged in 2003 that a friend had built a similar
staged combustor. Andrew moderates our improved cook stoves list..
7. Renewable Energy Corporation (Waterwide) became Salinas Energy Limited,
Perth. Now heavily invested in oil.
http://www.australianminingcompanies.com/salinas-energy-limited.html It
looks like the shell of the company was bought and re-purposed.
SALINAS ENERGY LIMITEDwww.salinasenergy.com (Domain for sale) 420 Roberts
Road SUBIACO, WA, 6008 AUSTRALIA Ph: +61 8 9380 2111

So it looks like there aren't any current producers unless they just dropped
the Waterwide and Cycloburner names.

Tom