[Gasification] Coconut Charcoal

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 4 07:18:55 CDT 2015

Dear Angie, Carlo and Gary,

The Listservs are here to assist you to make contacts.  I have added the
Stoves Listserv and the Biochar Listserv (as well as the Gasification
Listserv that you contacted), for reasons clarified below.   But you
cannot post to those lists if you are not a subscriber.

A very appropriate way to make char (charcoal) from coconut shell is
with TLUD technology.   Much info about it is at my website: www.drtlud.com

For your size of operation, you should certainly see:
http://www.sgfe-cambodia.com/
The website does not focus much on the equipment, but this is a "must
see" operation in Cambodia.   I have seen it (in 2013) and have been
very impressed.   The head is Carlo Figà Talamanca
<carloft at gmail.com>    and he is receiving a copy of this message.   I
believe that he is not subscribed to this Gasification Listserv.   Very
friendly and helpful!!!!    Note:  The   SGFE project is large, but it
should not be considered totally optimal. I am sure that Carlo is
experimenting with improvements.

Another possible helper for you is Gary Shapiro <glshapiro at gmail.com>
- American with totally strong Indonesia ties and knowledge of TLUD
gasification and frequently in Bali.

You should consider drying and sizing your coconut shells, and selling
it at very reasonable prices to assure that you can sell it all to
low-income households or perhaps schools or orphanages or military
barracks with the requirement that they give back to you the char that
is made in TLUD gasifiers for residential use or for institutional
cooking (larger stoves) OR for some other usage of the heat, such as for
bakeries or drying operations (including your own needs for drying).
Depending on the situation, the CLEAN heat value can be greater than the
value of the charcoal.

NOTE:  TLUDs do NOT produce gases that can be sent into internal
combustion engines.   For ICE usage with different gasification
technologies in addition to pyrolysis, you will want the expertise of
the Gasification Listserv members.

With your charcoal production sorted out, you then have some options on
what to do with the char:
1.  Additional processing to obtain activated charcoal for filters, etc.
2.  Sell it as it is in small pieces of charcoal to others who will
consider these options for usage.
3.  Crush it and make charcoal "logs, briquettes, pellets, etc." that
have appropriate size for burning.
4.  Use the char as biochar, to be put into soil for agricultural
purposes AND as carbon sequestration (which will progressively become
more economically interesting in the near future as you develop your
project.)   Do not overlook biochar as one of your options.
5.  Something else that others might suggest.
6.  Of course, use two of more of the above uses.

I am available to assist you further, either via the listservs or
directly at    psanders at ilstu.edu     My resume is at my website.

Dr TLUD

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com