[Gasification] Scada (SCADA)

Rex Zietsman rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za
Sat Apr 23 03:14:39 CDT 2016

Mark,

And then for the brave (read mentally retarded, stupid for taking this on), there are microcontrollers that are VERY cheap <$10 each. We have built an Arduino system for the control of our 20kWe gasifier that does the following:
- air to fuel ratio from using an oxygen sensor (as found on modern cars) on the exhaust with a servo motor controlling a ball valve
- throttle control using a pulse detection on the engine flywheel with a servo motor controlling a ball valve
- three K-type temperature sensors: preheated inlet air, syngas outlet and combustion zone temperature. K-type is good to 1250oC
- two waterproof temperature sensors on our cooling water circuit
- 4 combined pressure and temperature sensors. These are absolute pressure sensors with a sensitivity of 30Pa and use temperature to do an adjustment to the pressure measurement algorithm giving you two outputs for one sensor. dP is then by difference
- 2 dP pressure sensors for gas flow measurement using a restriction orifice for dP
- three water level float switches
- three water solenoids for level control
- there are two interfaces - a simple 8 character, 7-segment display split between rpm and mV from the oxygen sensor; and a touchscreen that allows you to view temperatures and pressures
- real time clock with battery back up that gives real time for saving date stamped data
- SD storage module with 32GB back up
- GSM module for sms'ing data as required

Total cost: <$1000