[Gasification] [biochar] Re: Re: Characterization of waste water from biomass gasification equipment: A case-study from Cambodia

Stephen Joseph joey.stephen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 11:08:04 CST 2016

Dear Friends

There is another solution and that is to put a small tar cracker at the
base of the gasifier.

You have to inject some very hot air just above the grate.  This early work
was done by Mike Connor at Melbourne University.

You really cut down the amount of tar coming out of the gasifier thus
cutting your waste water treatment requirements.

Also if you can breed the right bugs the small amount of tar you produce
 can then be composted

I am in Ethiopia but somewhere I have Mike students thesis.  Mike has
retired but I may be able to track him down.

Corner Peacocke also did some work on this and we used an external tar
cracker using a mixture of hot air and hot steam.  The higher the temp the
lower the amount of air required.

Regards from the North of Ethiopia

Stephen Joseph