[Gasification] Gasification

Pete & Sheri spaco at baldwin-telecom.net
Fri May 20 11:33:08 CDT 2016

The first thing to do is to visit with your local electric utility company to see what the current program is for “net metering” or whatever they happen to call it.  I would also ask them what the future for that program is in your area.  I say that because some power companies have been backing off on earlier more generous plans.

Next, read your electric utility power bills.  They will tell you how much power you are currently using monthly.  You will need to generate that many kilowatts to get zero net usage from the grid (assuming you don’t intend to change your lifestyle)..  But, you will still have to pay the monthly connection charges, which seem to be going up, especially for those on various net metering plans.

Then there’s the issue of how much power you can put on the line at any one time.  Our utility limits us to a maximum of 39.9KW (and single phase, where we live).  So, if I wanted to make my monthly power as quickly as possible, and I needed 800KW per month, I’d need to run for about 20 hours at that 39.9KW.  If so, I’d need a system capable of producing 40KW to do that.  I could run it for two 10 hour days, twice a month, or for four  5 hour days four times a month.

  If you were okay with running your system more often, I suppose you could still accomplish your goal with a system as small as 5KW, but 800/5 = 160 hours of operation each month.  You get the idea.

That’s not the whole story, either.  Some power companies are real stinkers when it comes to the actual residential grid tie system.  You need to ask what they require, since there any several  connection issues that have to be dealt with.

Next, I’d start doing some serious research on the amount of fuel that you will need.

Power generation:

I had a long term to setup a 40KW system and I estimate using 1000 pounds of wood in 10 hours to produce 400KW.  People may argue the fine points of this, but I think it’s in the ballpark.

Transportation:

Some guys who run cars and trucks say that it takes one or two pounds of woody fuel to go one mile.  I’d guess a motorhome would take at least double that.  Think about the bulk of enough fuel to go on a 500 mile trip  AND TO GET BACK.  There are very fuel “wood fuel stations” around.

You said you are going to use wood pellets.  Not all pellets are created equal.  Some turn to powder in the reactor and simply clog things up.

These things are generally not “set it and forget it”.

It appears the you are in Oregon, USA.  I suggest you visit allpowerlabs down in the San Francisco area  when the have one of their frequent open houses.  It’ll save you a ton of time.

Non expert,

Pete Stanaitis