[Gasification] Straw Fueled CHP

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Dec 22 23:38:02 CST 2017

Daryl,

Consider pyrolysis to biochar. Talk to Pyrocal, http://www.pyrocal.com.au/  They started building mobile pyrolysis machines andnow make mostly stationary pyrolyzers. This year China carbonized 800,000 tons of wheat and rice straw to biochar which was converted to a biochar compound fertilizer and sold it back to the farmers.

http://www.biochar-international.org/node/8858

You have an active group of biochar producers and researchers in Australia. Make biochar and recover the heat for process heat or power.

https://anzbc.org.au/

We burned more than a million tons of straw per year in Oregon from 1938-1990s. In the 1970s we designed and tested mobile field burners on thousands of acres. The cost of labor made them too expensive to operate. The best arrangement is to get it off the field, store it, and either burn it in a fit for purpose power plant, like in Denmark, Spain, UK, etc., or use it for other purposes. Each year we export 700,000 tons  of our fine leaf grass seed straw to the Far East for diary roughage. We still have another 400,000 tons that could be converted to energy.

You won’t find many gasifiers that can handle straw. To make an engine quality gas you gasify at high temperatures. The alkali (K, Na) in the ash melts at low temperatures so you make a lot of low grade glass and plug up the gas flow. Part of the alkali carries over into the gas and eventually into the engines. The AgEnergy system has a grinder that turns the ash-char into a friable biochar which they have used on their fields to increase the pH. (Low pH is a result of injecting urea or ammonia as fertilizer in no-till farming.)

China build may straw fired gasifiers in the 1990s for heat and cooing fuel. I have heard that most of them are now abandoned.

Tom