[Gasification] Straw Fueled CHP

tmiles at trmiles.com tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Dec 26 12:16:52 CST 2017

Greg,

As long as you have a way of removing the clinkered ash and breaking it up you can make gas. Components in straw sinter and melt at about 750 ⁰C. Oxidation temperatures are typically 1000 ⁰C. In a downdraft gasifier you concentrate the slagging components in the char and either sweep it through with unreacted char or melt it. For that reason most gasification of crop residues has historically been with updraft gasifiers with active grates.

You’ll find a review of “Commercialization Development of Crop Straw Gasification technologies in China” open access at http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/6/12/9159 (Zhang 2014 in Sustainability). The current development in China is to pyrolyze the crop straw with external heat and convert the char to a biochar fertilizer.

Rice husk gasifiers proliferated in Cambodia and Myanmar during periods of high diesel prices.  Simple downdraft models were built with wet scrubbers. At one point effluent from the scrubbers caused severe pollution problems in Myanmar. Environmental impacts were analyzed in Cambodia. High temperatures created cristobalite silica issues in some gasifiers. There are some good analyses of the performance of these systems. Many are copies of the Ankur Scientific (India) gasifier. Most of the gasifiers fuel low cost engines that are replaced or substantially rebuilt after a year or two. Many generate electricity. Small systems run line shafts that power rice milling equipment.

Tom