[Gasification] Getting both heat and char . chip boiler with down-up gasification !

Doug doug.williams.nz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:37:50 CST 2017

Hi Rolf and Paul, Colleagues,

I found these two photos in my files, and I do have others (not found)
showing the changes in combustion as the kiln heats up. Taken about late
1985, you are seeing the first Cyclomix burner in action, after Jack
Humphreys  and I presented it's design at the 2nd International
Gasification Conference in Bandung, Indonesia (1985), along with our
2,000 hr diesel duel fuel conversion tests results in association with
Lister NZ. I have to tell you that the memory of events in digging out
these old photos of Fluidyne development which number in hundreds,
bought back the painful lack of knowledge and difficulties of working in
isolation at the bottom of the World.

The enclosed photos of the kiln or combustion chamber as we knew it, had
vertical entry from the top, and after the internal brick work began to
glow, the heat gradually crept out of the bottom opening as you see
here. We used it to melt anything we had, mainly aluminium and glass
bottles, but it's practical value was to demonstrate that Gasification
could be used for high temperature applications. Before this, we built
horizontal brick combustion chambers for use in timber drying kilns, and
in these we used target bricks as Paul refers to, so that the gas was
forced to burn up against a refractory brick surface. We had three
timber kilns operating over two years, then Natural Gas came by the door!

Doug W.