[Gasification] Gas Sampling

Indika Gallage indika at efpl.org
Thu Jun 29 18:33:10 CDT 2017

Hello Doug,

I will follow your instructions to collect the gas.  Will let you know the
other compositions soon.

It was a great loss for everybody to see Ray move on he was 85. He was a
pilot in addition to being an engineer and agronomist he had a  plaque on
his wall saying " Old pilots never die, they just go to a higher plane" he
really must be up there!!.

Ray's idea of biomass was for Food, Fuel and fertility. He demonstrated this
in his 50 acre coconut land where he planted fast-growing leguminous
(Grilicidia cepium ) trees between the coconu  trees. Used the lopped
branches of these trees to be used in his 30 kw gasifier running a small
coier factory, the nitrogen from the Grilicidia cepium were a source of fuel
for the coconut trees.

We started a trial fuelwood plantation back in 2009 on Ray's advice, the
trees were again Grilicidia cepium we did several trials regarding the yield
of plants and some good studies of plant growth.  The fuel wood of this
plantation is now used to run a gasifier at a hotel. With Ray's initiative
"Grilicidia cepium" has been named the 4th plantation crop of Sri Lanka (
Tea, Rubber and Coconut are the first three). SRC is catching up in the
island most of our gasifiers are fueled with SRC plantations where they use
only the branches of trees having a regeneration time of about 6 months.

Thank You for your time and advice

Regards

Indika