[Gasification] ***SPAM*** RE: Question from Philip Pedros

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Sep 22 18:15:34 CDT 2018

Biosolds are typically gasified in combination with wood or another bulky
biomass. I think the City of Lebanon has incorporated biosolids in their
fuel mix of dry urban wood waste.  Aries Energy purchased a fluidized bed
gasifier developed for biosolids but it is not intended for engine
generation. In about 1985 City of Los Angeles ran three bubbling fluidized
bed gasifiers on dried digester gas. Heat was recovered in a  steam boiler.
The project lasted about five years. There have been many small scale
experiments using dried biosolids in gasifiers for engines. I am not aware
any upgrading the gas.

A few years go Anaergia Inc ran a Biogreen Energy pyrolyzer in which the
dried biosolids from an anaerobic digester were carbonized.  The pyrolysis
gas was put back into the digester using a process patented by Washington
State University. The enriched digester gas was burned in an engine. A
project to build a larger system was announced for the City of Los Angeles
was not built.

Tom