[Gasification] HomeBiogas

hugh at austrop.org.au hugh at austrop.org.au
Sat May 7 21:29:28 CDT 2022

Thanks Bruce

but what you are referring to would be a commercial digester with a
well insulated tank, an integral mixer and perhaps a heater.

Unfortunately Home Biogas systems are far simpler - but are dependent on
local conditions to work. Even here in the wet tropics (16•S) winter
temperatures can go as low as 13C. Putting in a heater, would consume
a significant amount of our power (we are solar). Had we really been
aware - we could have installed an insulated jacket, but in this
environment
it would have failed quickly - moisture and various organisms setting
up home there (in fact they could have punctured the tank - chomp!). So
these are
great in warm and dry environments - and as they are inherently smelly
most would not want them too close to the dwelling.

However homogenisation really does speed things up.

There is obviously a market for a better design - but we have the issue
of gas storage - which HomeBiogas solves quite elegantly with the top
bladder (which takes no extra space). A gasometer style storage would be
fine
except for the space issue. Compression brings on a whole collection of
other
issues.

There is no free lunch! (or cooking heat)

Cheers

Hugh