[Greenbuilding] Advice Needed LEDs and Pot lights

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 2 14:45:02 CST 2010

I've been slowly replacing screw in bulbs with LED replacements. Prices are
dropping and the bulbs pay for themselves quite quickly so it is not a bad
interim solution. What is a waste is that every bulb requires an ac-dc
converter which may be a limiting factor in the 30,000 hr life. I think the
problem will be that the most accessible cost option will be the mass
produced replacement bulbs - so a dedicated led lighting system with a
larger converter will remain more expensive than simply buying low cost cans
and outfitting them with LED screw in bulbs.

I was (am) disappointed in the lumen output (which seems significantly lower
than claimed) on a few bulbs in work areas which you may want to look at as
it will influence quantity and spacing and circuits, etc.

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN

4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7

PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541

terrain at shaw.ca

  _____