[Greenbuilding] finding coils inside (new) chest freezer

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 10:14:55 CST 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Doug Kalmer <sunart at netease.net> wrote:

>  Forget tearing into the walls, most chest freezers have the coils near
> the outer sheetmetal in front and both sides, you would just make a mess of
> a new freezer. Doug

Doug,

tell me more about the coils being found spread across three walls. How do I
find out if that is so with all of them? Is there any hope of accessing
technical drawings that show the location/distribution of the coils for
these freezers? I've learned that freezers sold here have for the most part
been made by one of three companies: WC Woods, Haier, and Frigidaire. I have
so far only come up with one strategy for determining this, which involves
going to the appliance dealer equipped with my infrared thermometer gun and
ask them to plug in the chest freezers I'm interested in. That *could* work
out well, or it could be a pain.

As far as 'making a mess of a new freezer' that is my goal. I'm not buying a
freezer to display it prominently for my guests. I'm reluctantly letting
another kWh-sucking appliance into my basement and plan to do whatever I can
to minimize its real-world consumption of electricity. I'll be adding blocky
panels of rigid foam to the exterior walls that lack coils anyway, so the
'new freezer' look is already shot.
My plan to remove the sheetmetal which obscures the coils is motivated by
the hope that in so doing I could increase the amount of insulation that
resides between these coils and the interior wall of the freezer--to
overcome one more crummy design aspect of an appliance category.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reuben Deumling