[Greenbuilding] Greenbuilding Digest, Vol 4, Issue 5

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 20:35:13 CST 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Ross Elliott <relliott at homesol.ca> wrote:

> Reuben, why are you ripping open a new freezer? It probably uses less
> energy
> than your TV;

I don't have a TV.

> During air conditioning season, if you have one, you lose not only the
> dollar value of
> the waste heat but also pay to remove it with the air conditioner, although
> at very high SEERs. So again the dollars wasted are almost insignificant.

I don't have an air conditioner, or an air conditioning season, whatever
that is. I had a professor once who said an air conditioner (the kind built
around a refrigeration cycle) was a sign of poor building design.

> I'm not saying don't do it...
> But there may be other places you can apply your energy towards that would
> give you a better return than cracking open the sides of the freezer, in my
> opinion.

I can't think of one, frankly. My reply to Kathy Cochran this afternoon may
illustrate my predicament.

> It IS rather baffling, though, why most fridges and freezers allow their
> coils to "reheat" the box they're trying to cool because they're hidden
> inside the sheet metal shell for protection; coils should be fully exposed
> like they used to be.

Yes.