[Greenbuilding] Seattle housing stock

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 20:33:43 CST 2010

I'm in Seattle at the moment looking at housing stock.  I am amazed to see
little or no insulation in the small older craftsman style houses built in
the first quarter of the last century.  This only where I can actually check
it out, like areas that open to space beneath the roof.  Here I see no
insulation at all.  Again, is roof insulation in this part of the country
non-existent?  Energy efficient building non-existent?

I'm in the very strange position of needing to invest a fair amount of money
in a property.  Expensive here, I am looking in the $500,000 price range
which doesn't get one much in this city.  Working with a Realtor I like, I
nonetheless would be happy to have advice.  Am checking out any sort of
housing within about 5-6 miles of downtown Seattle.  I have strict time
constraints.

Anyone on this list living in Seattle?  I know the housing bubble created a
frenzy of building in the last decade, probably bad construction.  Are there
known good builders?  Who are they?  Am interested in viewing anything built
over the last 100 years.  Prefer no condos.

Would appreciate responses.  Sacie