[Greenbuilding] Stale Air

John Straube john at buildingscience.com
Thu Dec 16 18:42:18 CST 2010

Hiya Shane
I have seen no research to suggest negative health effects because of CO2 at 1000 ppm. No offense but I would rather believe the decades of tightly controlled experiments the US Navy did than your gut feeling.
The challenge in reading the literature is that CO2 is a tracer gas, an indicator of human activity, not much else. If you have a meth lab in the room and keep the CO2 level to 1000 ppm or even 800 ppm it won't solve the IAQ issues. Similarly using 1000 ppm and not dealing with VOCs, mold, CO or particles results in bad IAQ. So we have to be careful.
Many field studies on IAQ outcomes do not actual measure the amount of outdoor air delivered to the spaces. Often the measurements are one time total airflow measurements presumed to be valid for the whole building. Most modern mechanical systems do not actually deliver a regulated amount of outdoor air to each space. The studies also rarely include an assessment of the pollutant load created by the building or ventilation provided accidentally through leaks.
Hence there is a tremendous scatter in field results. And for most buildings with poor ventilation and often with pollutant loads increased ventilation will improve IAQ.
However, I think the real question is, or should be: in an airtight building designed to good practice for pollutant control, what is the health impact of increasing ventilation rates.  I can't find these types of studies and all of the studies that have been done either don't answer this and hence lead people to incorrect conclusions when applied to a "good" building with a "good" ventilation system.

John Straube
519 741 7920
Sent via BlackBerry