[Greenbuilding] heating values of different species of wood

Norbert Senf mheat at mha-net.org
Wed Dec 22 13:36:46 CST 2010

Hi Reuben:

Yes, pound for pound wood has just about equal
BTU content. The softwoods sometimes are slightly
higher per pound, because of the resin content.
The "higher heating value" of 0% moisture wood is
about 8,500 BTU/lb. For 20% moisture wood, it is about 6,800 BTU/lb.

It looks like they calculated the recoverable
heat value by taking the heat value of air dried
wood (20% moisture), and multiplying by 65%
efficiency, which is a reasonable value for a modern stove.

Best ........ Norbert

At 08:40 AM 12/22/2010 -0800, Reuben Deumling wrote:
>I stumbled upon this
><http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-combustion-heat-d_372.html>http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-combustion-heat-d_372.html
>and wondered if anyone here can offer an opinion
>about how good these numbers are. I compared
>cherry and white oak on this chart (the two
>species I tend to burn), and noticed that the
>ratio of the two species dry weight/volume is
>the same as the ratio of their BTU/volume.
>Does that mean a lb of cellulose regardless of
>species is assumed to have a (more or less
>fixed) heating value? I could imagine that but
>hadn't encountered this before. It would make certain calculations easier...
>
>paging Norbert Senf...
>paging Corwyn
>
>Thanks,
>
>Reuben Deumling