[Greenbuilding] Wood by the pound.

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Wed Dec 22 15:40:35 CST 2010

On 12/22/2010 4:21 PM, action jackson wrote:
> If wood - pound for pound- has roughly equivalent values ,
>
>   why are we not planting and coppicing willow groves with which to
> heat? Seems to me that this rapidly renewable wood would burn hot (ideal
> for masonry heaters) and give more btu's per acre given it's rapid growth?
>
> what am I not getting?

Density.

But what really matters is conversion of solar energy into stored
chemical energy (cellulose).  And some other things like drying energy.

Also groves of monoculture willow is probably not a good idea.  There is
at least a chance that firewood is coming from a healthy sustainable
forest ecosystem.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--