[Greenbuilding] Wood by the pound.

Norbert Senf mheat at mha-net.org
Fri Dec 24 08:52:25 CST 2010

At 01:49 PM 12/22/2010 -0800, Reuben Deumling wrote:
>I found this and don't think it is likely a very
>good statistic, but it got me thinking.
><http://www.recycling-revolution.com/recycling-facts.html>http://www.recycling-revolution.com/recycling-facts.html
>"The amount of wood and paper we throw away each
>year is enough to heat 50,000,000 homes for 20 years."
>
>We have roughly twice that many households in
>the US which would suggest we have available 10x
>the required amount of fuel to heat the present
>housing stock. Hm. Seems doubtful. Anyone?

Assume an average home would take 2 cords of
hardwood to heat per winter or 6,000 lb.
Multiply by 50,000,000 and by 20, and you get 6
trillion pounds, or 10 tons of wood per American.

They state that an American uses 680 lbs of paper
per year or about 1/30th of 10 tons.
Add in the waste wood that is landfilled, and
you'd have enough to heat the 50,000,000 the
houses for at least one year. The carbon would
end up back in the atmosphere either way.

Norbert

Norbert Senf---------- mheat(at)heatkit.com
Masonry Stove Builders
25 Brouse Rd.