[Greenbuilding] Wood by the pound.

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 10:45:59 CST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Corwyn <corwyn at midcoast.com> wrote:

>  That is, wood heats the same way that oil, or gas heats, so calculating
> heat loss is sufficient without adding the complication of worrying about
> fuel type.

That I wonder about. My guess would be that wood used to stoke a wood stove
(rather than say an automated pellet or chip burner which are more common in
Europe at the household scale) would be different in terms of the terminal
temperature portion of this calculation. The fact that we are the regulator
rather than a thermostat, not to mention that most of us who heat with wood
are involved in a large number of stages in the preparation of the fuel, I
could imagine that we might husband the wood/choose a different or more
variable terminal temperature/etc. than if we were heating with a liquid
fuel. But this is mostly just speculation.
The physics, which I think is what you were driving at, Corwyn, is probably
as you say. My interest was in the social--if that is the right term--end of
the wood heat circumstances.

Reuben Deumling