[Greenbuilding] Face cord

Tedd Weyman weyman_tedd at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 21:32:39 CST 2010

I grew up in New Brunswick, Canada where a face cord is 1/3 of a full cord. I
cut pulp for summer jobs between university years; living in a tent and sharing
a camp with a pair of draft horses. A cord of firewood or pulp is the same
volume of wood: 4 X 4 X 8 but we usually stacked the pulp logs 8' length while
firewood was bucked down to 4' lengths, making a different shaped stack.

"Face cord" is a measure used to sell split and seasoned firewood to city
slickers who did not want to buck up and split their own wood.  A face cord is
16" X 4' x 8'  (i.e. 1/3 of a cord). The 16" length is suitable for a fireplace,
heating and a cook stove.  Face cords were sold as valued added, retail product
and so were more expensive than simple division of 1/3rd of the price of a full
cord.

I live in Ontario and have a camp in western NY now. Most folks here call a face
cord a "cord" and here it is assumed that when you refer to to a cord, you mean
1/3 of a cord.

 I don't know how many pellets there are in a face cord :-)