[Greenbuilding] Greenbuilding] one more pleasure of heating with wood

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Thu Dec 30 20:21:08 CST 2010

Reuben Deumling writes:
 > It has been heating their houses for thirty winters straight. I don't
see why it wouldn't do another 30 or even 60.
 > In this field, where we breathlessly follow the newest most efficient
wizzle-beep, it is nice every now and then to stop and appreciate the
stuff that lasts, that was always > good, that we aren't likely to
improve on any time soon.

I agree with all you wood heat enthusiasts.
It's hard to improve on wood heat!

I love the full envolvement, from forest to fireplace.  I've had a few
unprepared years in the seventies, where I'd not gathered and stored
enough for the winter, and found myself out wading with chainsaw on
snowshoes and tobaggan.  Don't want to do that.

So I cut and stack ahead, for two years of drying, always having two
winter's of wood on hand, incase of falls, injuries or illness.
As a result, we burn less wood when it's two years old, as it burns
hotter, with more btu's.  And it's so much easier to carry in when it's
that dry!

For over 120 pages of really good talk on wood heating see my friend
John Gulland's pages at
http://www.woodheat.org/

Frank Tettemer

Frank Tettemer